- Creates, designs, and develops engineering and optical solutions for new lighting applications (Using ASAP, LUCIDSHAPES, etc.).
- Designs and develops optical solutions incorporating new technologies to improve overall functional performance and/or cost of existing products.
- Evaluates and verifies optical designs from concept to mass production to meet requirements for specific applications.
- Performs detailed optical designs, ray-tracing simulations, tolerance analysis, and actively supports design documentation including material and light source selection, CAD, BOM, and manufacturing and assembly processes.
- Actively participates in prototype builds, design verification, and validation testing of components and systems from concept through product certification stages.
- Assists in component sourcing and supplier selection and management.
- Designs or guides mechanical engineers in the design of mechanical assemblies of optical elements and sources of illumination. Actively collaborates and guides electrical engineers in the design of electronics for driving illumination sources or control systems.
- Analyzes and interprets lighting standards and regulatory requirements pertinent to optical design and function.
- Leads continuous improvement of optical design capability and improvement of optical components.
- Leads NCR resolution projects when assigned.
- Provides engineering design expertise and guidance to engineering and marketing teams for new product definition and concept development.
- Conducts competitive benchmarking analysis to understand and advance the “state of the art” for all aspects of solid-state lighting for commercial vehicle and general lighting applications.
- Supports and documents multiple optics projects at any given time (ex. 7 to 10 different lighting designs).
- Forward lighting optics subject matter expert.
- Supports other activities as directed.
- Position requires compliance with the Technology Control Plan and the Federal Export Control Policy established for the Corporation.
Minimum of a B.S. degree in Optics or Mechanical Engineering or Physics.
Requires 2 to 3 years of related optical design or photometry experience
Preferred candidates will have prior experience in the design of complex reflector and optical lenses (TIR, Projector, Collimator, etc.), and FMVSS compliant headlamp systems, and experience with project management, proven PC skills including proficiency in MS Project/Word/Excel/Access, optics design software experience (ASAP, LUCIDSHAPE, etc.) and 3D modeling experience using Unigraphics, Pro-E, Catia, etc.).
Due to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) requirements, all candidates must be presently classified as a “US Person" which includes: a United States citizen; a permanent legal resident (green card holder); or a protected individual (refugee/asylum status)
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Vets/Disabled